Thursday, October 2, 2014, 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
This conference convened by Women and Gender Studies Associate Professor Julietta Hua explores contemporary issues of feminism and colonialism worldwide. Free.
J. Paul Leonard Library, Room 121
College of Liberal and Creative Arts, Women and Gender Studies Department, UCLA Faculty Diversity and Development
- 12:30 – 1:50 p.m.: “Birthright Citizenship, Settler Colonialism and Reproductive Futurity,” Leti Volpp, Robert D. and Leslie Kay Raven Professor of Law, University of California, Berkeley.
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.: “Lightning Talks: Colonial Debt, Feminism and The Politics of Resistance ‘In Debt,’” Joanne Barker, SF State.
- “Debt and Gender Dispossession in The Settler State,” Mishuana Goeman, University of California, Los Angeles.
- “Evaluating 20 Years of South African Democracy Through Fatima Meer’s Black-Woman-Worker,” Tiffany Willoughby-Herard, University of California, Irvine.
- “The Palestinian Youth Movement and New Protest Cultures: ‘Hungry 4 Freedom,’” Sunaina Maira, University of California, Davis.
- “Redefining Oakland: Settler Colonialism, Identity and (Youth) Activism in the Bay Area,” Andreana Clay, SF State.