LCA Travel Policy

Effective January 1, 2018 through the end of the 2017-18 Academic Year, the College of LCA will provide reimbursements of up to $1,000.00 per tenured and tenure-track faculty member for travel to conferences to present their scholarly work or to serve on a panel. These College funds can now be used toward any travel expense allowed under the CSU travel policy: coach/economy airfare, lodging, conference registration fees, ground transportation, baggage fees, per diem, and foreign travel insurance obtained through the University.

Travel insurance not obtained through the University and seat upgrade fees are the responsibility of the traveler. Seat upgrades can only be claimed if the traveler has obtained written pre-approval for such an upgrade as a reasonable accommodation from the SF State Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC).

Faculty are also encouraged to apply for Faculty Affairs Travel Awards. Faculty Affairs funds can be used for coach/economy airfare and for lodging only, and for 2017-18, allocations can be made of up to $1,000 for domestic destinations, and up to $1,500 for international destinations.

At the discretion of the Chair, Departments have the option to supplement College and Faculty Affairs travel funds to reimburse for additional expenses that are allowed under CSU travel policies. Departments will be asked to cover foreign travel insurance costs when the faculty member has exhausted their allocation from the College.

The State of California recently passed Assembly Bill 1887 which prohibits the University from funding travel to certain states that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression or discriminate against same sex couples or their families. The details of this policy and a list of the states to which travel is currently restricted is available on the California State Attorney General's website. As of today the restricted states are Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

Faculty who wish to be reimbursed for expenses related to driving a vehicle (e.g. mileage, bridge tolls, parking, rental cars, gas purchased for rental cars only) - either their own vehicle or a rental - must complete the online Defensive Driver Training in advance of their trip or they cannot be recompensed for these expenses. To request a link to the training, complete the Authorization to Drive on University Business application on the Environment Health & Safety website and return the form directly to EHS, not to your Department or the College. An EHS employee will contact you with further instructions.

Faculty who wish to be reimbursed for expenses related to a rental car must rent the vehicle through one of the two approved University vendors or they will not be reimbursed. To access the car rental portal, log in to the SFSU Gateway and select "Employee Services," then "Enterprise/National Rental Car Reservation" on the right hand side.

All travelers should complete a Request for Authorization to Travel (RAT) form in advance of their trip. For all international travelers, the RAT must be accompanied by a Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage form and both forms must be submitted at least 45 days before the date of departure. Additional forms may be required for high-risk destinations.

Within 30 days of their return, travelers need to complete a Travel Expense Claim form and submit it to their AOC with their receipts. Chairs need only sign the claim form if Department funds are being used. AOCs should direct all Travel Expense Claim forms to the College Office.

Links to Travel Forms & Resources: