Do you want to study in a supportive community that can help you graduate quickly? Metro College Success Program Academy of Teacher Education can help you do just that!
Metro students receive individualized tutoring and advising to help them become the next generation of urban educators. They learn to write and speak with confidence and power, master teaching topics, and think critically about real-world issues.
A Learning Community for the First Two Years of College
Each Metro Academy is a ‘school within a school’ to give you an educational home in your first two years of college and beyond. Metro College Success Program (Metro) gives you personalized support for college success through in-class academic support, tutoring and advising. At the core of Metro is a learning community made up of linked courses each semester, pairing a general education course and a Metro course. In Metro, you will build a solid foundation for college success and meaningful work in a variety of careers.
Metro uses targeted outreach to support first-generation, low-income and/or historically underrepresented students in their successes at San Francisco State University.
Adjusting to college can be challenging. Learning in a small, supportive community of students and faculty can help you thrive throughout your first two years and through to graduation. Metro’s goal is to help you graduate in a timely manner and gain the skills you need to succeed in college, give back to your community, and find a meaningful career.
What is Metro?
Metro is a two-year learning community of two courses each semester that share themes such as social justice, education equity, community health, or ethnic studies. Metro courses satisfy general education requirements for all majors at SF State, so you can go on to complete your bachelor’s degree in any major.
Metro students receive individualized tutoring, advising and support. Metro students also develop strong academic skills. They learn to write and speak with confidence and power, master mathematical concepts, and think critically about real-world issues.
Additional Benefits of Metro
- A small learning community of students with similar interests work together during the first two years of college, getting the classes you need to progress quickly
- A clear, fast track to graduation –all Metro classes satisfy graduation requirements in general education for all 289 majors in the Cal State University system
- Instructors who are passionate about social justice teach interesting classes that are relevant to real life
- One-on-one support from a dedicated academic advisor
- Access to tutoring services through the Metro Academic Resource Center (HSS 247)
- Continued support in upper division (past the first two years) and connection to alumni and faculty after graduation
- Learn about the ways to continue to give back to your community and make a difference in the world
Metro Themes Introduce You to a Variety of Topics
Metro students are grouped in communities to introduce you to a variety of majors and fields of interest. Metro has academies with the following areas, with an academy in each of the six colleges at SF State. Metro also welcomes students who have no yet declared a major or with any field of interest.
- Child and Adolescent Development (CAD)
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Ethnic Studies
- Liberal and Creative Arts Science