LCA Travel Policy 2021-22

The funding amounts in this travel policy are in effect for the 2021-2022 academic year, ending June 30, 2022.

All in-person travel should go through the RSCA Recovery Travel Award. The fund can be used towards any travel expense allowed under the CSU travel policy such as coach/economy airfare, lodging, conference registration fees, ground transportation, baggage fees, per diem, and foreign travel insurance obtained through the University. Travel insurance not obtained through the University and seat upgrade fees are the responsibility of the traveler. Seat upgrades are only permitted if the traveler has obtained written pre-approval for such an upgrade as a reasonable accommodation from the San Francisco State Disability Programs and Resource Center (DPRC).

For virtual conference presentation, the college will provide reimbursements of up to $500 per tenured and tenure-track faculty member to participate virtually in conferences to present their scholarly work or to serve on a panel as a respondent. As virtual conference registration does not require actual travel, the approval process will not go through Concur. To receive approval, please send verification of presentation acceptance, with your department chair/school director’s approval, to Kelly Trinh ( via the LCA Virtual Conference Request Form. Registration must be approved by the Department Chair and the Director of Finance before making any financial commitments.

For staff travel funding related to professional development, please contact Michelle Rashleger at

All travelers should complete the Travel Request via Concur in advance of their trip. For all international travelers, the Request for Foreign Travel Insurance Program Coverage form is required and must be submitted at least 45 days before the date of departure. Additional forms may be required for high-risk destinations. Upload the RSCA Recovery Travel Award application and any other forms in Concur as well. Please consult the SFSU Travel Services website for updated additional university guidelines. The Request to Travel via Concur travel online system must be approved by the Department Chair/Dean and the Director of Finance before making any financial commitments in order to be eligible for reimbursement. Requests for travel during the semester that require missing more than one week of classes are not normally granted. Any exceptions require prior approval from the Chair and Dean before any commitments are made, and the requestor must include an explanation of how instruction will be covered equitably in their absence.

At the discretion of the Chairs, departments have the option to supplement College travel funds for additional expenses that are allowed under the CSU Travel Policy. Departments will be asked to cover foreign travel insurance costs when the faculty member has exhausted their allocation from the College.

The State of California passed Assembly Bill 1887 which prohibits the University from funding travel to certain states that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression or discriminate against same sex couples or their families. The details of this policy and a list of the states to which travel is currently restricted is available on the California State Attorney General's website. The restricted states currently are:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Idaho
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • West Virginia

Faculty who wish to be reimbursed for expenses related to driving a vehicle (e.g. mileage, bridge tolls, parking, rental cars, gas purchased for rental cars only) - either their own vehicle or a rental - must complete the online Defensive Driver Training in advance of their trip or they cannot be recompensed for these expenses. To request a link to the training, complete the Authorization to Drive on University Business application on the Environment Health & Safety (EHS) website and return the form directly to EHS. An EHS employee will contact you with further instructions.

Faculty who wish to be reimbursed for expenses related to a rental car must rent the vehicle through one of the two approved University vendors or they will not be reimbursed. To access the car rental portal, log in to the SFSU Gateway and select "Employee Services," then "Enterprise/National Rental Car Reservation" on the right hand side.

Within 30 days of return, travelers need to complete the Expense Report on Concur. Chairs need to approve only if department funds are being used.

More information about the CSU Travel policy can be found here.